Subscribe to my updates on Facebook:
I left the corporate world May 2009 to take on an epic journey to travel around the world. I realized though that the world is pretty big and that this journey would take much longer than expected. Since then, I’ve lived a nomadic life in different parts of the world.
I’m Michael Tieso. I’m 27 years old and I love to travel. I was born and raised in New Jersey, USA. My half Argentinean and half Italian background brought me back and forth between New Jersey and Buenos Aires, Argentina as a child. I’m also a music fanatic.
I started Art of Backpacking in December 2008 after a short backpacking trip in Canada. I felt inspired to share my experience of backpacking and to prepare for a complete lifestyle change.
Dream Destination?: Since I was a kid, I had always dreamed of traveling throughout Japan.
Favorite Food?: Ceviche, Argentinean Pizza and Steak, Sushi, and all around Thai and Chinese food. Food addict…
Favorite Quote: ”A man is not where he lives but where he loves.” -Proverb
Have you seen my fiancee’s website yet? Twenty-Something Travel
What am I doing?
Enjoying what life has to offer. Making every day worth living for. I’ve been traveling and living in different parts of the world since May 2009. I attempt to make a living off the internet doing whatever it takes to make a few extra dollars.
Looking back at everything I’ve done to make this happen, it really wasn’t all that hard. I saved about $15,000 USD (which is now all gone). I sold everything I owned before I left.
How much did I spend?
Not much! On average about $1,500USD per month. It really depends where I am. From May 2009 to April 2010, I spent roughly $19,500USD. As a minimalist, I don’t really need much.
How do I spend so little?
Finding every possible bargain in all transportation, food, activities, etc. It does take some work but it all becomes natural where the better deal is.
- Art of Travel Blogging: A resource of information for those looking to start a travel blog or already have one. It’s for both beginners and experts. Launched in March, 2011.
- Everywhere Connection: Documentary exploring the way we travel with todays technology.
- Hoi An Tailor Reviews: The only website dedicated to the tailors of Hoi An, Vietnam with reviews and guides.
- Eat The World: An app for your iPhone and iTouch that helps you discover local foods as you travel.
- Spanky’s Grill: Restaurant my parents own in Pennsylvania. If you’re in the area, you should definitely go.
- Featured in Forbes: How To Take A Sabbatical From Work
- Dark side of the moon from The Australian
- Reflecting: How Travel Reawakens Your Passions
- Photo Collection: Faces Of The Future (Part 2)
- Best of Australia by Travelers Around the World
- Travel Talk from BlogWorld from Travelllll.com
- 12 Budget-Friendly Sustainable Travel Experiences from BootsnAll
- The Best of South America
- Backpacking with Simplicity from sharingtravelexperiences.com
- Travel Dork of the Week: Michael Tieso, The Art of Backpacking
- Meet the Nomads: Michael Tieso
- Michael from “Art of Backpacking” Blog Talks on Teaching in China!
- Teaching English in China | Interview with Michael Tieso (Art of Backpacking)
- Who’s Out There Now? Michael
- Lash World Tour
- Tuesday Talk with Michael Tieso from Art of Backpacking
- Michael Tieso has Backpacking Down to a Fine Art…