Darjeeling, the world-famous hill town attracts hundreds and thousands of tourists every year. The beautiful town is located in the state of West Bengal in the foothills of the Himalayas. Once you arrive here, it feels like you are in bliss as you find yourself surrounded by snow-covered Himalayan peaks and lush tea gardens and verdant forests filled with birches, maples, chestnuts, oaks, and rhododendrons.
Many people avoid Darjeeling during the rainy season months that last from June and continue till August. Tourists typically prefer clear weather to enjoy the beauty of the hill town. However, what most people do not realize is that Darjeeling during monsoon gets even more exciting and fun, provided you know what to do and where to look. The Darjeeling hotels are available for booking at Cleartrip offer lower rates and provide much more improved services as they have fewer guests to entertain.
Here is how you can enjoy Darjeeling even during the monsoon months!
- First of all, it seems as you have the whole Darjeeling to yourself as there are no or very few tourists. The entire hills and the forests are alive with fresh greenery. Moreover, the sound of raindrops falling on the tin roofs of the village houses creates a unique and special atmosphere. Darjeeling is just perfect in rains for romantic couples.
- Enjoy the wet look of Darjeeling during monsoon as it gets covered with a layer of mist or the fog. It is a unique experience to explore the hill town covered with a foggy white blanket. Nowhere else can you witness such shows of nature as you walk on those moist roads and landscapes.
- Take a walk on the Mall road just after the rains and sit in a lovely café with a hot cup of coffee and enjoy the views around. Watch the life go by as you gaze at shops and establishments, people walking with huge umbrellas and school children with oversized raincoats hurrying towards their school. The whole experience is truly magical and timeless.
- Another fun thing to do in Darjeeling during the rainy season is to go to Darjeeling or the Sunset Lounge in Chowraste Mall during the lunchtime. Relish the view of the valley as you enjoy some sandwiches or meatloaf with Darjeeling tea. You can read a book or listen to your favorite music or work on your laptop.
- Go down to a Monastery and join the lamas in their prayers. Feel the truly sacred ambiance as you ring the bells and recite the Buddhist chants with the monks. For some time, you will feel as if you are one of them and belong here.
- Darjeeling monsoons may force you to stay , but there are some great places where you can go and have an enjoyable time. For example, you can visit Bengal Natural History Museum to learn about the flora & fauna of the region, Ava Art Gallery to look at great paintings and artwork and Hayden Hall that works for the underprivileged. Other places of attractions include the Tibetan Refugee Self Help Center and some great monasteries. Rejuvenate your fitness level at Himalayan Yoga Bliss & Wellness Centre in Darjeeling.
To read more on topics like this, check out the destinations category.